A dwindling amount of inlay work from reserves of the material still in hand continued in certain places for a number of years after closure of the mill.At Ashford-in-the-Water Rowland Holmes made combs from tortoiseshell in a small mill constructed as a secondary user of the marble mill leat.The mill was used for the manufacture of coarse brown or blue paper of the type used in the past by grocers and ironmongers and though apparently worked originally by Day himself, in 1825 was being operated by Thomas Hope of White Lee, who also ran the other Wincle paper mill.In 1835 Abraham Day died in his 95th year, but Thomas Hope and subsequent members of the Hope family continued to operate Folly Mill until 1860 when records show that ownership had changed to John and Matthias Slack.Another theory about the mill's name concerns its remoteness and inaccessibility for raw materials.It was located deep in the valley of the Clough Brook, on a tributary of the Dane, in a wooded gorge at a place called Gideon (or Gibbon’s) Cliff and was locally considered 'folly'.He built three mills on this site, the first and second were washed away by floods and according to tradition his wife told him it would be 'folly' to build a third and that if he did so she would go to bed and never get up again.Nevertheless Day persisted with his intention and, true to her word, his wife retired to bed so it is said, and stayed there until she died in 1826 aged 76.
In 1748 Henry Watson established his marble mill at Ashford and the material was used for a wide variety of ornamental purposes including interior building work -particularly at Chatsworth-and in the making of such things as table tops, statues, vases and trinkets.
The name Lode Mill is thought to be a possible corruption of 'Lead Mill' as the mill was multi purpose and used for lead smelting, grinding red and yellow ochre and also corn.
Alstonefield - Milldale SK139547 long demolished; a millstone lies on the ground and there are remains of the weir and short mill race. It possibly dates back to the 17th century of even earlier.
The chief source of the marble was the Arrock Quarry (SK 191694), now overgrown, fenced off and dangerous, a short distance from the A6 on the minor road to Sheldon.
Originally quarried, and later mined underground, the blocks were taken across the river to the mill where, by the use of water power, the marble was sawn to the required shapes, ground and polished.